Hi, I’m Frankie and I am running to be your President (Community, Diversity and Inclusion) 2021/22. I am passionate about inclusivity and diversity, and believe I have the skills and experience to make a real difference in this role.
I have been a student at Canterbury Christ Church since 2016, studying a BA in Film, Radio and Television Studies and Applied Criminology and my Masters in Tourism and Events Management. I have been heavily involved in the Students’ Union throughout my time at university, including holding the positions of Social Secretary and Vice President for Badminton, and Social Secretary for Show Choir. This year I have also been a member of the Union Societies Executive Committee and held the position of Societies Representative on Union Council.
If elected as President (Community, Diversity and Inclusion) my priorities will be:
- Work with the local council and community on a ‘good neighbour’ scheme, to ensure students feel a part of the local community
- Promote links between our students and the community, helping Christ Church give back to the local area and feel welcome and respected in the community
- Ensure that a new housing accreditation scheme is put in place to replace Homestamp, to make sure that students can feel confident when looking for a property
- Work with the Kent Police and the Kent County Council to make sure that students can feel safe when out at night
- Collaborate with the Student Green Office and Ecostudents society to help reduce the carbon footprint of the university, and promote eco-friendly practices
- Work with the university on closing the BAME attainment gap, addressing the non-continuation gap, attainment gap and graduate employment gap
- Continue current work with the university to have an on-campus nursery to help support our student parents
- Introduce compulsory training for our student groups around diversity and inclusion
- Work with the university on provision for student care leavers and estranged students
- Work with the disability team and the disabled student’s network to ensure all students have the support they need whilst at Christ Church
- Work with the estates and facilities team to make sure that all catering facilities are disability friendly
- Work with the LGBT+ Society to facilitate more events for LGBT+ History month and pride, including more awareness and educational events
- Work with the President (Campaigns and Societies) and President (Engagement and Sports) to ensure our student groups can pride themselves on being inclusive
- Work with the other sabbatical officers on the Big 10, ensuring that we have joint objectives across the union
- Relaunch Chooseday Chill
- Improve the wellbeing support for our students at Medway, including specialised practitioners for our healthcare placement students
- Work with the President (Campaigns and Societies) to run wellbeing campaigns, including Sexual Health, Drug Awareness, Period Poverty and Consent
- Collaborate with the wellbeing team on campaigns and ensure that students are signposted to them when needed
Thank you for taking the time and reading my manifesto. Please vote for me as your #1 choice for President (Community, Diversity and Inclusion).