Wellbeing Advice

Some helpful links and advice

You can gain advice from the Student Support, Health and Wellbeing team by contacting:

or attending a drop in service

Emergency Phone Numbers

If you feel that you are in a crisis, or if you are concerned about the welfare of someone you know, contact:

  • The emergency services on 999 if you feel your life is threatened and you need urgent support from the police or ambulance service
  • NHS Direct 24/7: 111 for medical concerns where you can’t get to see a GP or if you are concerned about someone else’s health or welfare
  • CCCU Security on 2111 for all other emergencies on campus
  • The Samaritans: 116 123 for confidential, emotional support 24/7 and if you are feeling suicidal. (You can also visit the Canterbury branch. Usual hours 8am-8pm Monday to Saturday) or email:
  • 24/7 Mental Health Matters Helpline: 0800 107 0160. Confidential emotional support and guidance. They also have details of local and national support services.
  • Your GP within surgery hours – it’s a good idea to make a note of their phone number – for general health concerns
  • 24/7 National Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 2000 247. Support, help and information for women experiencing domestic violence and abuse. 
  • Men's Advice Line: 0808 801 0327. Advice and support for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse. (Opening hours 9am-5pm Monday to Friday). 

For non-emergency concerns you can contact:

  • Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers – a team of professionally trained advisers who provide support and advice and guidance on a wide range of personal, financial and academic matters. Telephone: 01227 922675; Email:
  • University Counselling Service - offers free, confidential support for a wide range of personal and emotional concerns that may be affecting your capacity to study and having an impact on your university experience. Telephone 01227 923056; Email:
  • The Chaplaincy - provides a confidential listening service and offers a safe space where any student can bring and discuss their problems in a non-judgmental environment. Telephone: 01227 922538;

You can also take a look at this advice from Student Minds

Here are some other useful links:

Local GPs / Clinics

Find your local GP Service or Sexual Health Clinic

Sex, Drugs and Alcohol

Find charities offering advice on sex, drug and alcohol

Canterbury based service providing a full range of alcohol and substance misuse interventions for adults living in Canterbury


Being away from home for the first time, or starting a degree course as a mature student can sometimes make you feel isolated or alone don’t just bottle it up make sure you talk to some, the University Chaplaincy are on hand for a chat anytime.


Being at University can cause a strain on your existing relationships or throw you head first into brand new relationships that may or may not work out below are some avenues for support:

Uni/Home Life

Balancing life at University whilst maintaining a complicated personal / home life can be difficult, make sure that you are accessing all the support that is available to you:

Local Charities and Support

Support available from the University:

Student Support, Health and Wellbeing Department

Medication Clinic (resolving disputes)


“As a Students’ Union Advice Centre we offer advice in good faith, based on knowledge, experience and the best information available to us. Students who seek our help must take responsibility for their own decisions based on the advice we give.”

Get Into Teaching