Fitness to Practise

I have been informed of a Fitness to Practise situation I am facing, what should I do?

If a student is studying a Health programme and it is considered that have contravened the Code of Conduct of the professional body (NMC, HCPC or other) or the University Code of Student Professional Conduct then they can be refered to the Student Fitness to Practise Procedure. The University Fitness to Practise Procedure can be found HERE. There is also some useful info guides to the process here:

All students are entitled to representation from the Students’ Union if they are facing a Student Fitness to Practise Procedure. Arrange to meet with the Students’ Union Advice Caseworker ( in good time before any meeting in order to go through the case and prepare. In your email please give a brief explanation of the situation and include your course, year and campus.

NB: with Nursing and Midwifery programmes, students are goverened by the NMC guidelines. The HCPC guidelines have similar regulations for Social Work, ODP, OT, Paramedic and Radiography students.

“As a Students’ Union Advice Centre we offer advice in good faith, based on knowledge, experience and the best information available to us. Students who seek our help must take responsibility for their own decisions based on the advice we give.”

Get Into Teaching